Overleaf is looking for an outstanding individual to develop and implement marketing plans and campaigns for our university and institutional market, with the goal of increasing sales revenue through demand generation and lead development.
This is a remote, full-time role, ideally based in the US (in or close to the east coast timezone), or in the UK/EU.
Who we are
Overleaf is a startup and social enterprise that builds modern collaborative authoring tools for scientists — like Google Docs for Science. Our primary product is an online, real time collaborative editor for papers, theses, technical reports and other documents written in the LaTeX markup language.
Overleaf has seen rapid adoption across science and research, and now supports a community of over seven million users worldwide. This community includes major institutions such as Stanford and Caltech, with Overleaf becoming an integral part not only of research collaborations but also of undergraduate teaching. Many large international tech companies and labs use our enterprise solutions, and we work with several major publishers: for example, supporting collaboration on IEEE’s member platform, and making the journal submission process smoother for LaTeX users across many academic publishers.
Overleaf was founded by two mathematicians who were inspired by their own experiences in academia to create a better solution for scientific collaboration and communication. Now we are a team of forty, based mainly in and around the UK and in the US. We were recently recognised as one of the UK's top 100 fastest growing businesses and as the Best SaaS for Nonprofits or Education in the 2020 SaaS awards Program
How we work
Overleaf is remote-first — all founders and staff work remotely. Our main office is located in London, UK, and we aim to get the whole team together in London a couple of times a year for face-to-face time, Coronavirus permitting.
We encourage flexible working. Our core hours are 9am-12 noon US ET / 2pm–5pm UK time.
What we're looking for
Reporting into the CMO and Head of Sales, you will be an essential part of the marketing team. You will work hand-in-hand with the Institutional Sales Managers and marketing team to develop an institutional marketing and demand generation strategy to build the sales pipeline required to increase new sales revenue. Ideally located in the US (in or close to the east coast timezone) or the UK/EU.
What we need you to do
Work with the institutional sales team and CMO to:
- Translate Institutional sales objectives into marketing objectives and project plans — identifying key timeframes for campaign releases
- Develop a plan to increase awareness, consideration and adoption of Overleaf
- Own and execute marketing campaigns and supporting budgets that will deliver quality leads for the Institutional sales team
- Learn the current Institutional sales and marketing strategy and conduct research on ways to improve and grow in the Institutional market. Highlight consumer preferences to support your suggested new marketing campaign creation/developments.
- Collaborate with teams across the business to deliver factual, thought-provoking and engaging campaigns and assets that drive customer engagement
- Work with sales, product and support teams to fully understand the product and barriers/challenges that impact our Institutional customers
- Work with digital marketing support and website development to identify areas for online customer journey improvement with the aim of boosting lead generation
- Work with the Institutional sales team and CMO to understand and analyze opportunities, buyer needs, persona, buying cycle stage, propensity to buy and competitive landscape
- Work with the Digital Science central marketing team and CMO to build and optimise automated nurturing campaigns to drive prospective customers down the decision funnel
- Attendance at institution focused events to either promote Overleaf or gather market intelligence
- Ensure efficient tracking of campaign effectiveness via Salesforce
- Regularly produce reports on the success of campaigns
- Continually build on own knowledge of advances in marketing strategy and campaign building
- Ensure brand alignment to increase brand awareness and equity
What you bring to Overleaf
- Previous working experience within a marketing role for 3+ years
- Excellent communicator with proven ability to clearly convey complex ideas and data in written, presentation and spoken formats to a variety of audiences
- Excellent project management skills and ability to prioritise competing projects
- Experience and understanding of the Institutional market
- Technical knowledge and ability to learn and market SaaS products
- A love of data and can analyse a marketing funnel; you can identify and size different growth opportunities and the various ways to meet them
- Experience working with CRM and marketing automation/email tools such as Salesforce and Mailchimp
- An energetic and willing attitude
How we hire
The stages in our hiring process are typically:
- We will aim to update you on the status of your application within one week from when we receive it.
- We'll follow up by email (or sometimes schedule a phone call) with any questions we have about your application, usually around logistics, your ambitions and your expectations about the role.
- We'll schedule a more in-depth interview, which is typically two hours long. The first hour is discussion, and the second hour is practical. For the practical, you'll have the option of either completing a homework assignment, which requires about one hour of your time before the interview, or doing an exercise during the interview, if you prefer. The exercises are practical in nature, and you can use Google, etc., and ask us questions.
- We'll make an offer. We usually interview in batches, so there may be a short delay while we interview other candidates, but we will try to keep you informed throughout the process.
- If you have a deadline, please let us know in your application, and we will try to be accommodating.
This is a remote position ideally based in the US (in or close to the east coast timezone), or in the UK/EU. The ability and desire to work from your home office and be self-motivated is required. Salary will be based on experience. Benefits include:
- Remote and flexible working.
- You would join a small, dedicated, and growing team.
- We're part of Digital Science (https://www.digital-science.com/) and backed by Bethnal Green Ventures (https://bethnalgreenventures.com/), through which we're part of a wider community of startups in science, health and ed-tech.
- You can pick your own equipment. MacBook Pro? Lenovo ThinkPad? Notebook and pen? However you like to work, we'll provide what you need.
- We provide a training budget; many of our staff choose to attend relevant industry conferences or buy training materials.
- We run a biweekly internal seminar series (show and tell) with short talks from staff about their work or personal projects, new technologies and techniques.
- As Overleaf is a fast-growing company, there will also be opportunities for the person hired for this position to grow and develop, and to take on additional responsibility, if desired.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.