Nixa.io is currently working with Whereby to help grow their product teams by hiring talented and passionate full-stack developers.
Whereby is on a mission to give people the freedom to live and work wherever they thrive. Their global HQ is in Oslo, Noway, but their users (and team) are worldwide - having been used in every country in the world by millions of folk. 🌏
By making it possible to collaborate as well over video as you can in real life, Whereby wants to give you the choice to work from where your life happens. To allow you to be in a place where you can think and focus, but also allow a seamless and instant connection with others when you need to.
For their 90 team members, and also for their customers, they know that the ability to decouple location from work can be life-changing. They can afford the house they want, can spend less time commuting, be closer to nature, and their children get to grow up seeing their grandparents every day. Everyone on their team enjoys the enormous benefits that a flexible work policy brings, and they truly believe the future of work will gravitate towards our vision of the future.
Engineering at Whereby
Whereby strongly believe in the superpowers of a well-led, and expertly designed engineering team. They are an engineering-centric business that hopes to scale their operation sustainably, with beautiful code, an ethical approach to their users and data, and an innovative opinion on new technologies in the market. They try to ensure both that they’re building the right thing and building the thing right. They analyse data, talk to users, prototype and iterate. They focus on discovering and solving user problems, not just building and shipping features. As a member of their engineering team, you’ll take on a key role in this process and see your work be used by millions of users worldwide.
We´re looking for a passionate engineer who has experience of customer-centric, iterative product work in a startup – or any company that values innovation, great user experience and technical quality. You’ll be working in one of the Product teams, and you’ll work directly with your Product Manager on your day-to-day priorities. You’ll report to an Engineering manager who will work with you on your progression - aiming to make sure you’re happy, challenged and doing the best work of your career every day. They’ll also help you find training and development opportunities.
- You have worked as a full-stack developer using web technologies,
- You are self-driven and take responsibility for product outcomes, doing whatever’s necessary to make things happen,
- You have designed back-end systems and APIs to a high standard of security, reliability and operability,
- You are familiar with some of the technologies they use to run their platform (AWS, Docker, Terraform)
- You enjoy working in distributed teams and working cross-functionally with Product Managers, designers, user researchers and other developers,
- You write code to be maintained - with good documentation, tests and structure,
- You are keen to learn continuously, share your knowledge, communicate effectively and build a product in close collaboration with others.
How your success will be measured:
- You’re delivering work that has measurable business impact and value to customers - early and often,
- You’re a self-sufficient member of our team, actively scoping work and driving projects forward,
- You’re fully engaged in the product development lifecycle, helping to share your team’s roadmap
- You’re raising the bar for technical quality and sharing your expertise.
- Work with your product team to understand customer needs and develop the product roadmap for your areas
- Contribute your expert opinion on the scope and feasibility of the initiatives your team considers
- Help shape our approach to shipping regular customer value and learning quickly from the things we build
- Contribute to a diverse engineering culture based on customer-centricity, high-quality code, data-driven decisions, technical innovation and business impact
- Develop and test product improvements that solve for customers needs in new and interesting ways
- Collaborate with other engineers inside and outside the team, helping them to do their best work and deliver projects according to our values and brand
- Understand the important technical differentiating factors of our product, and leverage those in our architecture
- Discuss insight on how customers use our product and make suggestions for how we can constantly improve the user experience and grow the customer base
- Take part in scoping how new features can be built, and how customer needs can be met, while making pragmatic technical trade-offs
- Write maintainable and performant code, with tests and documentation in case you get eaten by a yeti
- Collaborate with your team on getting things done. Share your progress, review each other’s code and help each other out with constructive feedback
- Safely coordinate regular deployments using our CI/CD infrastructure. Monitor and support your software in production