On behalf of Whereby, we are looking for a passionate Full-stack/Back-end Developer to join their Activation team.
Whereby is on a mission to give people the freedom to live and work where the thrive. By making it possible to collaborate as well over video as you can in real life, they want to give you the choice to work from where your life happens. For their 70 team members, and also for their customers, they know that the ability to decouple location from work can be life changing. You can afford the house you want, spend less time commuting, be closer to nature and make sure that your children grow up seeing their grandparents every day. Everyone on the Whereby team enjoys the enormous benefits that a flexible work policy brings, and they truly believe the future of work will gravitate towards their vision of the future.
Their global HQ is in Oslo, Norway but their users (and team) are worldwide. They have over 70 team members scattered across more than 12 different locations. Their video conferencing tool is used by more than 5 million people worldwide and they are constantly building and releasing new products to facilitate remote work from anywhere. As an engineer at Whereby, you'll be part of a tight knit team that deploys code several times a day.
Engineering at Whereby
We are looking for a passionate developer that cares deeply about building excellent product experiences on Whereby's most viewed landing pages and early onboarding experiences. You have a passion for building thoughtful interactive components and a keep eye for design. You have experience working with a software product in a startup or in a company that values innovation, great user experiences and technical quality.
Your mission: To build improvements to the onboarding flow, setting up experiments, improving conversion and activation.
* This is the mission that moves you and your team through our strategic roadmap, and should be your focus for up to a year or two.
You'll be measured on:
- Uptime and reliability of the platform.
- Shipping new things on the Product roadmap (and sometimes seeing them fail!)
- Engineering efficiency (no bugs, time to deploy, code review quality)
- Peer reviews by other engineers and managers
- Ensure Whereby’s backend is secure, scalable and reliable. We strive for security and privacy by design and want things to be robust when we ship them to all users.
- Contributing to a more profitable business through a performant backend and billing infrastructure
- Help our product teams iterate quickly and deliver on the Engineering and Product roadmap
- Contribute to an engineering culture based on high-quality code, data-driven discussions, technological innovation, business acumen, and diversity.
- Work closely with the rest of engineering, product managers, sales and customer support in making our backend easy to work with, reliable, with good test coverage, great documentation, beautiful APIs, and configuration options that meet teams and customers' needs.
- Deliver projects according to our values and brand.
- Understand the important technical differentiating factors of our product, and leverage those in our architecture.
- Take part in scoping how new features can be built, and how requests from customers can be met.
- Write easy-to-read and performant code, with tests and documentation in case you get eaten by a yeti.
- Discuss insights on how end users use our product and make suggestions for how we can constantly improve the user experience.
- Share what you’re doing and any problems you’re having in the daily team standup.
- Contribute to breaking all assignments into smaller tasks that can realistically fit in a two-week sprint.
- Contribute to planning how a problem can be best solved, and work independently and efficiently on implementing the parts you are responsible for.
- Demo your work from the past sprint every other Thursday.
- Work with Node.js and GitHub, using our CI/CD server to deploy things to our AWS infrastructure as soon as they’re ready.
- Get your colleagues to review your code before it is merged, and help them with reviewing theirs. Giving constructive feedback and suggestions for how to improve code quality, security and scalability.
- You'll be working on our new Activation team, and your work and day-to-day priorities will be managed by our Product Manager Anish. You’ll report to one of our Engineering Leads and be part of the Engineering organization to ensure development of your technical skills.
- We offer career progression opportunities both for manager roles (Engineering Lead) and technical expert roles.
- We encourage developers to attend one course/conference event per year, and attend relevant events on a frequent basis.
- You're currently working as a software engineer with focus on either full-stack or back-end development
- You have demonstrated impact of your work with full-stack development with a SaaS product, with a preference for the back-end part
- Have been part of designing and managing APIs
- Have dipped your toes into Redis and Websockets
- Are familiar with operations (AWS, Docker, Terraform)
- Value security and all your work adhere to a high standard of information security principles
- You enjoy working in a distributed team and working cross-functionally with Product Managers, Designers, User Researchers and other Engineers
- You develop code in a disciplined manner with proper documentation and structure
- You're a fan of continuous learning, helping others, effective communication and collaboration
- You have a strong ability to be self-driven and take responsibility for seeing your tasks through to release
- You can work remotely from anywhere within the EU
- Salary range: 60 000 - 75 000 Eur/Year (depending on seniority)
- The role will report to Jamy, Engineering Lead of the Activation team
- Choose your own development machine and which tools to run on them
- Read more about Whereby's vision
We fundamentally believe talent is distributed to all of us in equal measure. We open our doors (physical or url) to everyone and we see our differences as a strength; it’s this philosophy that drives us towards our mission.
This means we see your unique history as having a value money cannot buy; we believe in the strength of every intersection of race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, different physical ability, family structure, socio-economics, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity.