About Hire Space
Hire Space provides everything needed for businesses to host world-class virtual, hybrid, or in-person events, both in the UK and globally. As long-standing EventTech leaders, we are at the forefront of the rapidly growing world of virtual events. To help us on this journey we are seeking a Front End Engineer to join our passionate and collaborative team.
We operate the UK’s largest venue marketplace, which hosts over 6,000 venues and is used by over 2 million prospective event planners each year. Our clients include Google, Facebook, Red Bull, UNICEF, and Dr. Martens. We have built a reputation for delivering world-class virtual events and are the force behind the largest virtual Xmas party of 2020.
We’re looking for smart, curious, and self-starting people from all backgrounds to join our team. Ultimately, we're here to make events a joy.
As a Front End Engineer, you will be responsible for delivering a fast and modern UI to our users. You’ll help make calls on front end architecture within your team and help to implement best practice in the structure of our front end codebase.
You’ll build the front end for our new products, and help to improve and maintain the front end for existing projects. You’ll be responsible for tools that are used by millions of people every year, and to develop new products that will revolutionise the events industry. You’ll work predominantly in React, but will also work in other projects using libraries such as Knockout.js and interfacing with CMSs such as Hubspot.
Hire Space’s mission is to make events a joy through transformational technology. As Front End Engineer, you’ll play a fundamental role in the “transformational” element of this mission, and help create a slick, fast, reliable and intuitive UI for the tools that we build - from our well-established marketplace to our new virtual event products.
You will get the opportunity to make Front End decisions for projects that you are working on, and will work closely with our Engineering Manager to develop coherent full-stack solutions, with our UI Designer to create designs that delight our users and with other engineers in the team for code review, sharing of best practice and other collaboration.
Responsibilities will include:
- Developing new user-facing features, including pioneering virtual event technology
- Maintain and improve existing projects, such as our venue marketplace
- Building reusable code and libraries for future use
- Optimising front end applications for maximum speed and scalability
- Work to improve engagement with our users through A/B tests and reporting
- Ensuring reliability and test coverage
- Bug fixing - researching and resolving errors
- UAT of other front end tickets to ensure high-quality bug-free releases
- Learning through code review of other engineer’s code, and their review of your code
- Pair-programming when required to ensure high-quality code and learning
- Leading Lunch and Learns to share best practice within the engineering team
You should apply if you:
- Are self-starting and with a keen eye for design
- Have solid experience in React, and are comfortable working with different react design patterns
- Have 3+ years front-end development experience
- Good understanding of asynchronous request handling and partial page updates
- Have a solid understanding of key design principles
- Have experience working in an agile development environment
- Have proficient knowledge of cross-browser compatibility issues and solutions
- Have a passion for clean code
- Have great interpersonal and communication skills
- Have built web products and services, and have an awareness of technologies across the stack;
- You care about building reliable, well-tested systems;
- You thrive in a culture of continuous learning and feedback.
It would be a bonus if you:
- Have experience with Twilio, OpenTok, and other video software
- Have experience with WebRTC, Live Streaming, or other related video technologies
- Have experience with GraphQL
- Have experience working in Typescript (and love it)
- Have knowledge of SEO principles and best practices
- Have an understanding of various different software development practices
- Have a GitHub account with some cool projects in it
- Have experience developing responsive mobile-first websites
- Have previous experience in another startup
- Have experience mentoring other developers
- Have knowledge of front end application security
- Can speak German in a workplace context
- £45,000 - £55,000 p.a. salary
- Generous EMI share option scheme
- Generous maternity and paternity benefits
- Regular team socials (virtually and, in-person as guidelines allow)
- Regular professional development opportunities
- Remote-first set-up, work from anywhere
- Home office spending allowance
- Free nights out in London's most exciting venues (as guidelines allow)
- Free independent wellbeing coaching and therapy sessions as part of our Mental Health initiative
- This role a remote-first role, with the proviso that you will be working with an office that operates on UK time
- Our client base is predominantly in London and it is a “nice-to-have” for you to be able to visit our office from time-to-time and attend our away days in-person
Equal Opportunities Statement:
- At Hire Space, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.