Shorthand is a growing company that provides a digital publishing platform to many of the world’s best known publishers, brands, not-for-profits, and universities. With customers on every continent (except Antarctica!), there’s never been a more exciting time to join Shorthand. Our company has the rare distinction in this era of money-burning startups of being both investor-backed and comfortably profitable.
We’re introducing a new role for a Digital Marketing Designer. You will be a great fit for this role if you love developing creative visual designs to achieve marketing goals and serve a brand mission. You’ll be adept at designing images and landing pages for the web; ads for PPC and display campaigns; sales and pitch decks; and other marketing materials. You’ll also be comfortable with interpreting metrics on campaign performance and iterating designs to optimise ROI.
This role comes with a high level of responsibility and autonomy. This is a fantastic opportunity to join an ambitious but down-to-earth team that is making an outsized positive impact in the digital publishing space.
We tend to do things a little differently at Shorthand. For one thing, we’re a small, fully remote team distributed around the world (and have been for over 3 years). You’ll be working from home, or from a co-working location of your choice.
In this role, you’ll join our collaborative, high-performing marketing team, reporting to the Director of Growth and Marketing and working closely with the Director of Design. You’ll lead the creation of new imagery for our marketing websites, and you’ll help shape our visual brand identity. You’ll support our Product Marketing Manager, Content Strategist and Community & Events Manager with the production of visual materials that support multi-channel marketing and lead-generation campaigns.
We are looking for someone who:
- has at least two years of experience in a similar role, with a good understanding of multi-channel marketing — ideally in a software, SaaS or B2B marketing context;
- has experience in elements of web design as well as graphic design, and is comfortable with creating bespoke web pages with HTML and CSS (ideally SCSS);
- is adept at developing innovative, results-focussed solutions to business problems, working as part of a cross-disciplinary team;
- is organised, self-motivated, and enjoys working remotely;
- can work to a deadline and prioritise tasks across multiple concurrent projects; and
- has a global sensibility and outlook. Our customers are everywhere, and our visual messaging must resonate with them, wherever they are.
- Conceptualise, design, and implement creative graphics for the web, including on-brand images and custom landing pages.
- Work with the Director of Design on refining and refreshing Shorthand's visual identity.
- Become expert in the use of Shorthand, if not already, and support marketing and sales activities through visual styling of Shorthand stories for our blog and prospective customers.
- Design display ads and assist with launching and monitoring ad campaigns through the Google Display network and selected social media platforms.
- Collaborate on visual materials for events, including banners, swag, and styling of slide decks.
The successful candidate must have:
- A span portfolio demonstrating the relevant skills. Please include relevant materials or a link to your online portfolio in your application.
- A creative flair for developing innovative design solutions to meet marketing and business objectives, while maintaining brand constancy.
- Extensive experience with design software such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, or similar.
- Experience with web technologies including HTML and CSS (ideally SCSS), plus an interest in developing these skills further with mentoring from our Director of Design.
- Basic knowledge of SEO best practices.
The following are desired but not essential:
- A recognised tertiary qualification in graphic design, web design and/or marketing.
- Understanding of UX principles.
- Previous experience developing marketing materials for a technology, SaaS or software business.
- Experience in animation and/or video production.
- You love being both creative and collaborative.
- While you’re highly innovative, you’re also a realist and a planner, and can deliver projects on-time and within budget.
- You’re driven to deeply understand our current and future customers, so that your design materials speak directly to their needs.
- You are a proactive self-starter who does not need to be told what to do, and will be resourceful in order to find solutions to any challenge. You are not afraid to get your hands dirty. But you’re also consultative when necessary.
- You possess a high level of intellectual curiosity and demonstrate span judgment in the face of ambiguity.
- You are agile and goal-oriented, driven to succeed, and always up for a challenge!