The Wikimedia Foundation seeks a dynamic, entry-level communications professional excited to elevate the voices and stories of the free knowledge movement.
The Communications Associate will play a critical role supporting a growing Communications department in connecting with global audiences and lifting up the narrative of free knowledge in the world.
This is a highly collaborative role for a detail-oriented self-starter, with regular opportunities to shape, coordinate, and implement key communications initiatives and campaigns to support the Wikimedia Foundation’s key priorities in public policy, education, technology, equity, and more. You will work in close partnership with colleagues in the Communications department, staff across the Wikimedia Foundation, Wikipedia’s global community of volunteer contributors, organizational partners, movement leaders, and other figures advancing Wikimedia’s mission of free knowledge for all.
The ideal candidate is:
- A detail-oriented self-starter who is motivated to work collaboratively across diverse teams, lead critical operational responsibilities, and tackle multiple projects and deadlines. The Communications Associate will build important impact-focused project reporting and media monitoring systems necessary to amplify the work of the Wikimedia Foundation, the brands of Wikimedia, and the work of volunteer contributors around the world.
- Motivated and curious to build the foundations for a communications career. This is a unique role in that you will gain hands-on experience in multiple communications specialties including media relations, crisis communications, executive communications, messaging development, digital media, and more. In addition, this is a growth-oriented role where you will have opportunities to dive deeper into areas of specialization based on your interests.
- An adaptive and globally-minded professional interested in identifying stories that showcase the global nature of the free knowledge movement, developing volunteer and staff as spokespeople for global and regional public speaking opportunities, and expanding awareness and understanding of Wikimedia projects around the world.
You will join a growing team of highly collaborative and action-oriented media and creative strategists, marketers, writers, and designers working to champion free information and knowledge around the world.
You are responsible for:
Shaping and coordinating key strategic communications functions, including:
- Informing how we engage with media globally through regularly conducting and sharing research of media publications, and identifying opportunities for Wikimedia to engage strategically with press.
- Developing and maintaining foundational communications materials, such as important Frequently Asked Questions for campaigns, briefing documents for staff and executives, press kits, talking points, key statistics, and other materials.
- Informing and supporting the development of strategic communications campaigns to advance the organization’s priorities in public policy, education, technology, equity, and more with public audiences.
- Coordinating and creating communications reports to evaluate outcomes and objectives of media, public speaking, and other communications campaigns and create recommendations to inform future work.
- Developing and drafting blog posts, press releases, media responses, talking points, and social media content for campaigns, announcements, and other messaging opportunities.
- Monitoring and reporting daily news for breaking stories and trends impacting the Wikimedia movement.
- Collaboratively supporting key deliverables and progress reports of communications projects, campaigns, and other initiatives across the team.
- Creating and coordinating processes and systems to support media relations infrastructure reflective of a growing communications team that works in a global context. This will include developing and executing media training for staff and Wikipedia volunteers.
- Develop leadership that cultivates a collaborative and respectful team culture, serving as a collaborative thought partner and sounding board.
Skills and Experience:
- An adaptive and detail-oriented professional with an interest in understanding, supporting, and expanding the voice of the Wikimedia movement and the Wikimedia Foundation, demonstrating a high energy for and commitment to the Wikimedia Foundation’s free knowledge mission
- Strong organizational skills and experience managing multiple projects at once, an interest in both independent and collaborative work
- Experience in developing and maintaining systems and documentation for projects with multiple moving parts and stakeholders
- A strong writer, and interest in learning about the communications and media relations field in a fast-paced environment
- Understanding of and interest in monitoring news and social media trends
- Exceptional verbal and written communication, editing, and interpersonal skills
- Strong research skills
- The ability to meet deadlines and excel in a fast-paced, multitasking environment that often requires fast turn‐around
- Intellectual curiosity, flexibility, and a desire to tackle challenging problems
- The ability to flourish in a highly transparent and collaborative environment and work on a team with diverse demographic and cultural characteristics
Qualities that are important to us:
- Resilience—we work on new and interesting problems in public and collaborative ways
- Being open, curious, and inquiring in our work
- Internal motivation and high standards
- Working together for outcomes, and being willing to let go to scale or change course
- Sharing a culture of constructive criticism and respect
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Involvement or experience within Wikimedia communities and/or editing the Wikimedia projects
- Fluency or familiarity with languages in addition to English is a plus.
- Knowledge of online community interaction and dynamics
- Previous experience in PR or media relations
- BA/BS or MA/MS
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Paid travel to Wikimedia Foundation events all around the world!
- Equipment including a laptop, monitor, plus a one-time stipend to cover any additional needs to make sure you have the best work experience
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.
Wikimedia Medium Term Plan
Our Commitment to Equity
This is Wikimedia Foundation
Our Tech Stack